Not only do the winding tracks and hills in the Flemish Ardennes form the perfect decor for the Flemish cycling classics, these roads are also ideal for a scenic car ride through the countryside. But not in just any car… Hire a nice classic or vintage car for the day or afternoon – preferably a convertible – and cruise the back roads of East Flanders!
We hired two Citroën 2CV coupés for the afternoon at a company in Oudenaarde, in the heart of the Flemish Ardennes. Of the 5 mapped routes we could choose from, we picked the ‘Tour of Flanders’, a gorgeous 60 kilometer drive that takes you through the most beautiful spots of the region. And off we went, armed with a GoPro and selfie stick! Watch our 1,5 minute video to get a little taste of our road trip experience.
Good to know:
- There are several car hire companies in the region but not all of them have marked out routes for you, so check before booking.
- Directions may only be in Dutch (or French) so either dust off your language skills or get a travel companion who masters the language. The directions for the ‘Tour of Flanders’ that we chose has plenty of photos of several intersections, came in handy!
- If you have never driven an old timer like the Citroën 2CV before, don’t worry. Before you hit the road, you get all the explanation you need.
- Plenty of room in the trunk to take a picnic.
- Mind the cyclists, there will be plenty on a sunny day.